Linux router (don't laugh) WAS:Re: test

John Fraizer John.Fraizer at EnterZone.Net
Wed Oct 28 19:10:41 UTC 1998

At 11:23 AM 10/28/98 +0000, you wrote:

>And you point?  [PC's as routers is as old as the hills, loads of
>ISP's do it].
>
>Regards,
>Neil.
>--
>Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.       Domino: In the glow of the night.
>neil at DOMINO.ORG        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)
>  Free the daemon in your <A HREF="http://www.NetBSD.ORG/">computer!</A>

My point was to answer a gentlemans questions about using linux to route
multiple NICs and multiple aliases.

It started out like this:

>From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer at mhsc.com>
>Subject: Re: test
>Other lessons learned,
>	Linux won't route between multiple NICs, using multiple aliases, even with
>ip-forwarding enabled.

...to which I replied:

>Someone needs to tell one of our routers this.  It has been routing between
>multiple NICs for well over a year without any problem.

>From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer at mhsc.com>
>In that case, I would dearly love to hear how it was done.

...to which I replied with concise information about the box in question,
what each interface and alias was doing and why.

It is at this point in the thread that you reply.  Perhaps if you had read
previous or subsequent messages in the thread, you would have realized that
just because you and I know about PC's as routers and at least one of us, I
can't speak for you, knows how to build and admin them, doesn't mean that
the entire readership of NANOG does.  The last time I checked, DOMINO.ORG
wasn't an NSP, yet you still read NANOG.  There are more NONE NSP people
reading than you might realize and when they ask a question, wouldn't you
think it makes more sense to ANSWER it rather  berate them or the person(s)
trying to answer it

The thread goes on as it is interesting to at least a few of us and unlike
much of the chatter, actually has something to do with the network.

-------
John Fraizer                      |    __   _
The System Administrator          |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The choice
mailto:John.Fraizer at EnterZone.Net |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a GNU
http://www.EnterZone.Net/         | /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ | Generation
                     A 486 is a terrible thing to waste...