Linux router (don't laugh) WAS:Re: test

Phil Howard phil at whistler.intur.net
Wed Oct 28 14:51:40 UTC 1998

> > Attached is an mrtg graph from someone decided to throw about 8MB of
> > garbage our way for a few hours.  This little linux router just sat there
> > and idled through it.
> >
> And you point?  [PC's as routers is as old as the hills, loads of
> ISP's do it].

Anyone know where to get some multi-port (not hub/switch, but true distinct
ports) NIC cards that are in the price range of N times the cost of a normal
NIC card, compatible with Linux?  I have a project that needs 12 to 20 ports.
I've stuffed 4 NIC cards into a Linux box and it handles that OK.  But I'd
like to get more in there at proportional cost (I can hack the kernel if it
needs any table size increases ... viva la source).

For one thing I'd like to isolate all our colocation boxes into their own
individual subnets.

--
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --