Carpet?

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Wed Oct 28 05:28:21 UTC 1998

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Tim Pozar wrote:

> This stuff is expensive.  Most of anti-static carpet fabric will have
> wire threaded through it and a drain wire attached that you should ground.

Just to formally close out the carpet thread, there appears to be a single
source for the stuff.  3M makes tiles and treatments, and many carpet
companies have carpet that has a special anti-static backing, but only one
seems to have "certified" static-free carpet.

You can find it at http://www.utp.com. The process involves some
type of conductive carbon fiber woven into it that is bound to a
conductive backing.  At approx. every 1000 sq. feet there is a grounding
strap.  The carpet is available in rolls or in tile-sized pieces, and
looks to be completely safe for any computing environment.  Pricing starts
at about $22/sq yd. for the roll product.  Any carpet installer should be
able to order it and install it, as there is no special process involved
other than attaching the grounding strap, and anyone who's handy should be
able to figure that part out.  The folks at UTP are pretty friendly on the
phone and will answer any technical questions you can think of.  You get
some nice free samples if you call.

We're going with this solution.  Our machine room is very small, and the
surrounding build/test/repair/work area isn't that much larger and could
use some static reduction.

Charles

> It may be far easier to pick up a grounded chair mat that you can place
> at the table.  Any used office supply place should have them.
>
> Tim
> --
>   Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
>                POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247
> "It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
> 			- Andrew Jackson
> "What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,
>         which is the exact opposite." -- Bertrand Russell

| Charles Sprickman                       Internet Channel |
| INCH System Administration Team         (212)243-5200    |
| spork at inch.com                          access at inch.com  |