Is Qwest leaking routes?

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Tue Oct 27 19:41:11 UTC 1998

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Have you tried asking your upstream, Sprint (AS 1239) why they are
> still listening to, and re-announcing the route?  Was it the old
> cisco bug, where routes sometimes get stuck in the route table due
> to dropping the withdrawl?  Or some other reason?

My upstream is actually Genuity/GTEI (AS 3847).  I've opened a ticket with
them, but it seems that the old Genuity parts of the network are suffering
from a certain amount of neglect.  I used to have some direct contact
with the folks left at Genuity, but now my only route to support/help is
GTE/BBN's noc.  The last response from them amounted to asking questions
about connectivity, what IP was I coming from and going to, etc.  They
apparently ignored the little 'sh ip bgp' snippet I sent.  They said it
was normal to transit sprint to get to mci/cw.  I wouldn't think so, as
they have peering with mci/cw, but who knows.

FWIW, I still see this today, and I'm guessing this is the IOS bug you are
speaking of, either upstream or at my router...  Time to poke around the
bug database...

Thanks,

Charles

> As part of the post-mortum, was everyone able to easily reach the
> correct people at the responsible NOC's of other providers to resolve
> this problem?  I've been told in the past there are no communication
> difficulties between the billion dollar providers, and bi-lateral
> processes work well.
> --
> Sean Donelan, Data Research Associates, Inc, St. Louis, MO
>   Affiliation given for identification not representation

| Charles Sprickman                       Internet Channel |
| INCH System Administration Team         (212)243-5200    |
| spork at inch.com                          access at inch.com  |