Frame Relay encap vis-a-vis point-to-point at UUNET

elezar at pfrc.org elezar at pfrc.org
Tue Oct 20 17:45:38 UTC 1998

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 02:09:00PM -0400, Barry L James wrote:
> 	We just got a third T1, this time through UUNet and when I looked
> at their router configuration I got a little surprise.  We ordered a
> point-to-point circuit that is being terminated at their detroit POP.

[...]

> Now, I guess my question is: am I getting sold the brooklyn bridge here?

We only have a DS1 that is plugged into one of the Detroit routers for
UUNet.  It definitely shows signs that it is oversold from time to time.
Ocasionally things work less than optimally, but we get good service most
of the time.  We are unable to push the line at full T1 much of the time.

We also had some odd problems with our FR.  When the circuit was nearing
full congestion the LMI wouldn't get through and the cascade would react
by bouncing the circuit (which bounced the BGP, etc. etc.).  We finally
had to shutoff LMI which causes us problems any time they decide to
re-do the circuit for any reason....

--
 Jeffrey Haas   "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has
elezar at pfrc.org  left the paths of wisdom." (Or works for Fermilab...)