IP address space management

Brandon Ross bross at mindspring.net
Mon Oct 19 20:30:33 UTC 1998

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Brian Dickson wrote:

> >> We are in need of a software package to manage our IP space.  We've looked at
> >> several products on the market but haven't found anything that really suits
> >> an ISP's needs very well.  Does anyone know of anything on the market that
> >> works well?  It should understand CIDR and be hierarchical.
>
> I guess the question would be, what is meant by hierarchical... do you mean
> assigning sub-CIDR blocks to customers, and then managing customers' space
> as well as your own?

Something like that.  We have a need to assign perhaps a large block to
web hosting, then out of that block assign smaller blocks to each server,
then yet a smaller block still to each customer, for example.

 CIDR and VLSM goes without saying...

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  info at mindspring.com
                                                            ICQ:  2269442

Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.