SONET ring questions

Austin Schutz tex at shrubbery.net
Sun Oct 18 05:28:53 UTC 1998

>>2) We have the option of using either single-mode or multi-mode fiber
>>   OC-3 connections - what factors should be considered in selecting
>>   the fiber media type.
>

>Look at the distance, I believe multi mode is only good for a couple of
>miles, then you have to go single mode, which will drive your costs up.

	If you want to make a good ball-park guess as to whether or not
multimode will work for you it would probably be worthwhile to see:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7505/ipicg/ipicgpos.htm

	Multimode fiber has the disadvantage that it it not capable of as high
bandwidth as single mode - a consideration if you are digging a trench for it.

	Austin