Gigarouter

David Diaz davediaz at netrail.net
Fri Oct 16 02:16:56 UTC 1998

Hmm, We're deploying  44 GRF 1600s.  They are 16 gigabit backplane.  There
was a problem with the 1.4.6 code where different cards saw different
amounts of routes.  Example: CP card saw 50,000 routes, FDDI saw 49,000,
HSSI 39,000 and ATM OC3 19,000 routes.  Needless to say I said what the
#(*$#(*%$.  Physically there are some differences with the 1600 vs the 400
and the new code needs to be run (1.4.X) on the 1600.  Well something broke
between 1.3.11 and the 1.4.x.

1.4.10 is now deployed on it and it working extremely well.  Havent seen
any issues since.  We will have one serving NANOG with a T3.  Ascend will
have people there running around and they're pretty proud of it.  It
actually runs great but man does the GRF have a rep problem.

Anyone wishing to look around the box Im sure our engineers are trusting
enough to give a little tour.  I ask no one reset any cards during the show
as I dont want to get beaten up in an ally.

On another note is anyone using IP navigator Jade release?  We considered
deploying it but wasnt ready when we started adding our growth cities...

At 3:04 PM -0000 10/15/98, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
>Greg Mirsky observed,
>
>>Rogerio,
>>these are not REAL gigarouters. Real once yet to come ;). Stay tuned
>>
>>	Greg
>>

>Or is it that the current ones are gigarouters, but the next generation
>will be terable?

Thank you,
David Diaz
Chief Technical Officer
Netrail, Inc

email:   davediaz at netrail.net
pager: 888-576-1018
office: 888-NETRAIL

Colo facilities: Atlanta-NAP, Miami, Arlington, Chicago, San Francisco
888-NETRAIL for further information