Carpet?

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Fri Oct 16 08:21:33 UTC 1998

At 07:38 PM 10/15/98 -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>Hi,
>
>This is a bit off topic, but I'm sure someone here has opinions to
>share...
>
>I'm looking for carpeting for the area outside of a machine room that
>won't cause the "shuffle your feet and shock yourself" phenomenon.  I
>noticed most datacenters I've seen are carpeted up to the entrance without
>any ESD problems.  Is there special "anti-ESD" carpet?  Where might I find
>it?

Static is not the *only* problem carpet gives you, there is also higher
dust levels with carpet. Ask any allergist. Those data-centers you are
talking about usually have anti-static tile in them. The first step one
takes on such a floor, from a carpet, completely discharges them. Just make
sure the carpet stops more than 5 feet (reaching distance) from any
equipment. Also, if there's a door, make it open in-wards, ground the metal
door-knob, and stop the carpet at the threshold. That combination will be a
good non-intrusive static discharge system.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/