*sigh* NT/netbios over IP over frame

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Tue Oct 13 09:18:33 UTC 1998

At 12:23 AM 10/13/98 -0700, Raymond Wong wrote:

>I swore I'd never do anything like this, but I've been tasked with
>establishing NT network connectivity between 2 private networks
>over frame relay.  I got a pair of 2501s running 11.3, and I've got IP
>routing right (all the sparcs are happy).  I've got NT/etc machines, running
>with NetBIOS bound over the TCP stack.   None of the PC people knows
>IP well enough to say what they need.  Does anyone who has done this
>care to provide any hints?  a URL to a faq would be fine, though a search
>seemed to turn up lots of assumptions that wins is required, which
>sounds odd to me.
>
>I've enabled IP forward udp, and tried setting ip helper to the broadcast
>address on the other side... should this work?  am I missing an obvious
>reason it won't, or better, an obvious way to make it work?  I'm not about
>to go around and change 400 PCs for this, so a router config would really
>be preferable.

First off, the guys that *really* know this stuff are on the Samba list.
Mickeysoft is clueless when it comes to this stuff.

The first question is, if there is a Primary Domain Controller involved
anywhere?
The next question is, what are you plannning for your gateway machines?

WINS *may* be required, but a Samba Server can fulfill that function quite
well. You'll also need to set up LMHOSTS files. Your main problem is that
SMB protocols do not route easily. In fact, any version less than WinNT
will not route out of its own sub-net. If any PCs, are running Win95 then
you'll need a pair of hosts to route the SMB protocols for them. This could
be a WinNTserver, but I prefer a Linux host running Samba suite (you won't
have to re-boot on each config change and you can run it headless-remote).

Datacom Warehouse may have a box thatll help you, but I'd look into a "blue
cube".

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/