MCI or Sprint NNI to GTE?

Scott Michel scottm at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 9 01:14:07 UTC 1998

Short answer: No.

Long answer: There's a California PUC regulation that prevents
those fine companies from forming NNIs. (Thanks to Ralph
Whitmore of Interworld for that tidbit.)

That doesn't prevent someone from creating a private NNI, but
as I've learned, GTE's really willing, ready, and able to sell
you light to nowhere. Some members of their sales force need
a little more education about what's feasible and what's not.

Of course, there's more history to this problem than meets the
eye but that still doesn't solve my immediate connectivity
problem from El Segundo to Marina Del Rey (Lost Angels) with
an ATM pipe to nowhere...

Many thanks to Rodney Joffe (sp?) and Ralph Whitmore.