MAE NY?

Richard Parker richard_parker at thirdpoint.com
Wed Oct 7 04:48:21 UTC 1998

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Jay Adelson wrote:

> Too cold?  Are you serious?  Man, I just can't win.
>
> Our readouts were reporting 68-71F... Somebody tell me what this needs
> to be set to for our exchange facilities.  They're all pretty insanely
> big, so this is something to do ONCE.  Nows the time, we're deep into
> engineering HVAC for the first fifteen.  Oh, and I'd love to hear
> humidity suggestions as well.

Well, lets see...

1) Largest minimum operating RH for a communications device that
   I happen to have the specs for is 20%.

2) Smallest maximum operating RH for a communications device that
   I happen to have the specs for is 80%.

3) Static electricity is minimized when RH is at or above 35%.

4) RH below 25% can cause embrittlement of hygroscopic materials
   such as paper.

5) RH above 65% can cause mold growth and metal corrosion.

6) Humans are most comfortable when the RH is between 20% and 60%.

7) RH above 50% in cold weather can cause condensation inside of outer
   walls.

So... perhaps a target humidity somewhere between 35% and 45% would
be ideal.

-Richard