As if to. weren't enough

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Oct 6 05:30:06 UTC 1998

For the record I merely consider such selling of domain names unwise
for various reasons I won't belabor here again. The proof of that will
or won't be in the pudding.

My problem is with such domains becoming so poorly managed that they
become the stock in trade of some of the worst sorts of spammers and
other criminals.

In essence that complaint isn't that different than dial-up internet
sites who won't check who they're giving instant accounts to, and (no
surprise) find that accounts are created hourly to spam and commit
other abuses without any traceability or accountability.

I suppose if someone argued that this is all the result of serious
flaws in the net's blue-sky engineering I couldn't tell them they were
wrong. However, here we are, and about the best we have is to try to
create at least some minimum of accountability even if that only means
not handing out weapons of mass destruction because we can't figure
out how to prevent every fistfight (so why bother trying to stop
anything, the reasoning seems to go...)

        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs at world.std.com          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*