[YA] Fwd: Class B Purchase

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Tue Oct 6 02:03:16 UTC 1998

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 02:59:36PM -0700, David R. Conrad wrote:
> Karl,
>
> >> They have all of the legal weight of a Jim Flem-o-gram.
> >Then so does ARIN's and the IANA's ability to control and delegate addresses.
>
> No.  ARIN (et al) and the IANA have the ability to control/delegate
> addresses because by and large, the people who use the Internet, in
> particular, Internet service providers, mutually agree they have that
> ability.

That's nice David.

What you're saying then is that any group of people can get together,
and effectively exert monopoly, oligopoly, or otherwise create control
structures in a cartel-like environment over the Internet.

Uh, no.  Not in the US anyway.

> If you do not like these policies, your argument is
> with the Internet service provider community, which strangely enough, now
> is explicitly in a position to modify those policies.

Actually, no, they are not.  I believe that it is fair to say that the
majority of ISPs do not support these policies.

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.