How many ASs are out there?

Danny McPherson danny at genuity.net
Mon Oct 5 17:48:59 UTC 1998

> if, by active, you mean being used on the global internet today, a dump of a
> friendly router's bgp data and trivial script should answer that, n'est ce
> pas?

The CIDR report already does this.  The only portion I believe it lacks in
this area is number of "allocated" ASs...

-danny

[snip]
To: nanog at merit.edu
Cc: tbates at cisco.com, eof-list at ripe.net, apops at apnic.net, routing-wg at ripe.net
Subject: The Cidr Report
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 12:00:01 -0700
From: Tony Bates <tbates at cisco.com>

[...]

AS Summary

Number of ASes in routing system:                 4081

Number of ASes announcing only one prefix:        1973 (1035 cidr, 938
classful)

Largest number of  cidr routes:                    342 announced by AS3561
Largest number of classful routes:                 953 announced by  AS701