How many ASs are out there?

James Aldridge james at millhams.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 16:54:57 UTC 1998

Alejandro Avella wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how many AS are as October of 1998. I know
> there were around 700 registered ASs in the Internet at the
> beginning of 1994. [pag 178 of Huitema-93]
>
> Is there a web page with that Information?

Try ftp://ftp.arin.net/netinfo/asn.txt but note that some blocks of AS
numbers are allocated to the other regional internet registries (RIPE,
APNIC) and that there are some gaps in the list so not all 11558 AS numbers
have been assigned.

It is, perhaps, interesting to note that a snapshot of a "full" routing
table only contains just over 4100 autonomous systems including,
interestingly enough, five from the "IANA-RSVD2" range of private AS numbers
(64605, 65000, 65050, 65520 and 65521).

--James