Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Thu Oct 1 08:22:21 UTC 1998

On October 1, 1998 at 02:32 alex at netaxs.com (Alex Yuriev) wrote:
 > >  >
 > >  > I have a legit .to domain. I paid $100 for it like any .com domain,
 > >  > which of course has no porn sites.
 > >  >
 > >  > or something...
 > >
 > > By "legit" do you mean its purpose is to operate a business or other
 > > entity organized within the Kingdom of Tonga?
 >
 > No, simply legally registered.

In high school some upper-class students would sell incoming freshman
swimming pool passes. Unfortunately, our high school had no swimming
pool. But I guess if they paid for them they were "legitimate" pool
passes.

 > Let me ask the same question again: "Who are you to decide what is the
 > legitimate business activity for the Kingdom of Tonga?"

If it were solely up to me I wouldn't have to sound this issue out in
public.

 > As far as businesses go, Loral Space and Communications Ltd would be a
 > Bermuda corporation. Does it mean that it has to have its website in
 > Bermuda's TLD?

No. It means it would be peculiar if it had its domain in the Kingdom
of Tonga's TLD.

However, you have the logic backwards.

The question isn't so much "does there exist any non-criminal SLD in
the .to TLD". The question is: Does there exist any legitimate purpose
for the .to TLD? Such as serving the Kingdom of Tonga or entities
organized in the Kingdom of Tonga in any way? Or is it just rogue?

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs at world.std.com          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*