Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Thu Oct 1 07:56:38 UTC 1998

On September 30, 1998 at 17:26 aglists at goldblatt.net (Aaron Goldblatt) wrote:
 > >I think it's beginning to become obvious, to me anyhow, that any claim
 > >that the internet is better regulated by those who are involved in its
 > >engineering is a total failure as a concept.
 >
 > You're therefore suggesting that the Internet is better regulated by those
 > who are totally unfamiliar with it.  Or, in other words, you want your
 > heart transplant performed by a 10-year-old.

Totally unfamiliar with it? You mean, for example, that people in the
FCC are totally unfamiliar with, say, telephony? Or that they're all
ten year olds?

People who work for the FAA know something about air traffic issues
and aren't ten year olds. People who work for CDC know something about
epidemiology and aren't ten year olds. Etc.

Such regulatory agencies always employ people knowledgeable in the
technical aspects of the subject.

What's peculiarly missing in the internet realm is much anyone with
any skills in building processes by which decision-making and review
of policies can occur.

That's why, I assume, raising any policy or resource issue is
generally met with a flood of sarcastic remarks, non-sequitars, and in
particular a total lack of process by which to address such an
issue. It's completely missing.

You may believe that the above regulatory bodies are less than
perfect. But what you can't do is assert that what goes on in their
stead on the net works any better.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs at world.std.com          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*