Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net
Thu Oct 1 06:14:14 UTC 1998

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 05:54:02PM -0400, Gary R Wright wrote:
> Karl Mueller writes:
> > Clearly, .COM is used for criminal and malicious activities.
> > I propose that we remove it due to abuse.
>
> This points out the legal ambiguity of the global top-level domains.
> At least with the .to domain it is clear who is responsible for
> the domain.  With .com, .net, etc. the name space crosses legal
> boundaries inviting all sorts of legal confusion.  The legal
> situation could be clarified considerably if the gtld's were moved
> under the country code domains.

Actually, now that I think about it, it is hard for me to come up with
a situation where you could possibly hold a TLD administrator liable for
criminal activities perpetrated by a domain registrant. I'm sure someone
else will come up with something.

--

Anyone who spams me will be subject to torture by Jake,
my killer attack hedgehog, and/or Lizzy and Junior, my man-eating iguanas.