Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

Jeremy Porter jerry at freeside.fc.net
Thu Oct 1 05:12:55 UTC 1998

The problem doesn't even exist it is clearly covered under other procedures.
And the TO domain as an abuse policy, Barry obivously hasn't followup up
on it in any detail, or he would have indicated otherwise (at least he is
usually very detail oriented.

In message <199809302154.RAA17411 at comet.connix.com>, Gary R Wright writes:
>Karl Mueller writes:
>> Clearly, .COM is used for criminal and malicious activities.
>> I propose that we remove it due to abuse.
>
>This points out the legal ambiguity of the global top-level domains.
>At least with the .to domain it is clear who is responsible for
>the domain.  With .com, .net, etc. the name space crosses legal
>boundaries inviting all sorts of legal confusion.  The legal
>situation could be clarified considerably if the gtld's were moved
>under the country code domains.
>
>Certainly the legal confusion surrounding the gtld's shouldn't
>be used as a rational for not developing a process (which is
>what Barry suggested) for attending to problems associated with
>the country code domains.

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry at fc.net
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  | 512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net