Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Thu Oct 1 01:27:10 UTC 1998

At 06:35 PM 9/30/98 -0400, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 04:19:44PM -0500, Jeremy Porter wrote:
>
>> Not that I would advocate such activity, but unless there
>> exists an extradition treaty that allows for computer trespass
>> or denial of service attacks, I imagine that a few weeks of
>> being hacked and DoS attacks would have them reconsidering
>> the fee's that they charge to spam houses.
>
>I hope you're kidding.
>
>This statement is an order of magnitude dumber than anything Barry's
>contributed to this thread.

Agreed! SPAM-L has determined, over years of operation (including getting
CyberPromo busted out of Agis), that the most effective policy is
reasonable complaint, followed by blackholing (a la RBL). Any "Cracker" or
DoS attacks simply open you up for criminal charges and actually place the
spam-haus in a favorable light wrt LEOs. They then become the "oh so
innocent and helpless" victim. Also, there are a lot of TO SLDs that aren't
spam-hauses. The normal SPAM complaint process to their upstream providers
usually does the trick, regardless of what domain they're in.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/