Dents -- Bind alternative?

Todd Graham Lewis tlewis at mindspring.net
Mon Nov 30 18:05:56 UTC 1998

On Sun, 29 Nov 1998, Pete Kruckenberg wrote:

> Just saw an announcement for Dents ( http://www.dents.org/ ) on
> comp.os.linux.announce. This is supposedly a (future) replacement for
> BIND, as a DNS server. It has some cool ideas (dynamic zones, open storage
> interface, control interface, etc), but it looks like it's a work in
> progress.

It is.

> P.S. Looks like one of the participants works for Mindspring, but there
> doesn't appear to be any association between this project and Mindspring.

Johannes is a former MindSpring employee; we started the project when
he worked here.  He has since gone on to another job.  No, MindSpring is
not sanctioning the project, and we are both doing it in our spare time.
MindSpring is donating the web site and the mailing list.  MindSpring is
not at present running Dents anywhere, but I hope for that to change once
we get it cleaned up a little.  In answer to your question, though, this
is very much a personal project and not an official MindSpring project.

Todd Graham Lewis      MindSpring Enterprises    tlewis at mindspring.net
 The Windows 2000 name was obviously created over a glass of root beer
  in the company cafeteria by a couple of executives looking for a way
   out of the Windows NT delays.                     -- John C. Dvorak