NSI policy on lame delagations

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Thu Nov 26 04:34:34 UTC 1998

On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 10:38:52PM -0800, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > Given (for example) PostGreSQL, is there any reason why someone hasn't
> > ported the algorithms of BIND on top of something like it?  It seems to
> > me that it ought to be possible to keep a nameserver running whilst one
> > is doing maintenance on it...
>
> the line of people who have asked for this would stretch out the door and
> into the street.  bind runs from memory rather than from disk, because it
> has to be able to answer at wire speed for large values of "wire".

Ok; I'm there... but it seems to me that disk caching, possibly
application tuned, and 3/4 of a shitload of ram should solve that
problem.  If you really need to serve that much DNS, you can _afford_ a
4GB Ram Alphaserver, no?

>                                                                    we're
> working on a hierarchical storage system, basically a memory cache with
> LRU, backed by a database.  we're also working on a way to load from sql
> databases into memory rather than always having to load from disk.  it's
> likely that the second of those two projects will be complete a year or
> so before the first :-).

Ah, got it.

> in 8.1.2++, though, the goal is to be able to check and/or reload a zone
> without having to stat() all the others.  for someone with 50K zones on
> board, this should be a huge speedup.

Quite so.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592