RBL quandry - opinions hereby solicited

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Nov 23 18:33:09 UTC 1998

Paul says his only requirement is that they stop when asked. Well, I
haven't seen any evidence that they won't or don't.  All I have heard is
that they make you choose between their email and their service, or no
email and no service.  That they don't change their business when someone
demands and still do business with that person is another matter.

It might be arguable about whether they can or should give their list to
someone else or who owns the list. But it not even questionable that they
can use it themselves to promote their own services.

Perhaps you are getting something from NSI that I'm not getting. I've
gotten advertisements on topics like how to do DNS, etc.  Things that NSI
might be able to train people on.  Things that registrants of domains might
need training on.

I haven't gotten anything from NSI that isn't part of NSI's own business,
unless you count verisign stuff, which could possibly be outside, but it is
still certainly related to their business, and the business of those who
have domains registered with them. I actually haven't gotten any email from
NSI about verisign--Its all on their we page, I think. I haven't gotten any
spam from NSI about, oh, say, the latest porn site, or how to get rich
quick using chain letters.  I haven't heard that people who aren't
customers of NSI are getting unsolicited email from NSI.

But you are still missing the definition of spam: what is unsolicited
email. It is not "unsolicited" when you have a previously existing
relationship, especially a relationship that specifies that you agree to
give NSI your email address, and you agree with NSI that they can send you
email.

Furthermore, you can make NSI stop sending you email simply by not doing
business with them. You can register domains in other registries. NSI isn't
going out and buying email lists, and spraying email. They are sending to
their own customer list.

This is using the RBL to bully NSI.  Its not about spam.

		--Dean

           Plain Aviation, Inc                  dean at av8.com
           LAN/WAN/UNIX/NT/TCPIP          http://www.av8.com