NSI policy on lame delagations

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net
Sat Nov 21 18:53:16 UTC 1998

On Sat, Nov 21, 1998 at 10:17:49AM -0800, Michael Dillon wrote:

> On the other hand, maybe there is another solution. Don't put all your
> eggs in one basket. Run at least two nameservers.

This is a no-brainer.

1. If you're running only a primary and no secondaries, your DNS is an
accident waiting to happen.

2. You're required to have at least two nameservers operational for each
domain anyhow. This is true of the InterNIC, it's true of USC-ISI (the .US
TLD), and I'm sure it's true of the foreign registries too.

If you ARE running at least one secondary, it can pick up the slack while
the primary is relaoding.

> Add all new domains to a
> nameserver that has a small enough number of zones that it can easily
> handle being reloaded every hour. Then every week, transfer them all to
> your HUMUNGO server.

And I think this is an excellent idea.

--
Steve Sobol [sjsobol at nacs.net]
Part-time Support Droid [support at nacs.net]

Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."