NSI policy on lame delagations

Mike Leber mleber at he.net
Sat Nov 21 13:24:25 UTC 1998

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Randy Bush wrote:
> if they intend to serve those clients, as opposed to pretending to do so,
> then they should load thier servers when they are pretending to do so.

So you are recommending that if they take 300 new accounts in a day they
should reload their nameservers 300 times that day?

Remember these aren't nameservers that serve 5 domains, figure tens of
thousands. Perhaps I am not being clear.  Reloads, even a HUP, cause
named, even the new version, to pause for a while before being able to
serve requests again. All the relevant nameservers for the domains would
have to be reloaded 300 times a day in this case.  It isn't good if named
stops responding that often because it slows access to the web sites
domains by inserting a dropped DNS query timeout every time the reloading
server is queried (50% or 33% depending on 2 or 3 nameservers.  If the
reload takes 30 seconds then reloading 300 times == each nameserver is
down for 150 minutes a day.  Not good.

Just so the nameservers aren't lame for even a moment?

Doesn't being down 150 minutes a day make a nameserver atleast as bad as
being lame for a single domain?

Or do you suggest delaying client domain name registrations 24 hours?

Customers aren't being unreasonable when they want timely registration...
Anybody who has missed getting a specific domain name by a day can
appreciate this.  I've seen it happen many times.

Explain to me the pretending part.

| Mike Leber             Direct Internet Connections     Voice 408 282 1540 |
| Hurricane Electric      Web Hosting & Co-location        Fax 408 971 3340 |
| mleber at he.net                                           http://www.he.net |