Digital Bill of Rights

Jeff Mcadams jeffm at iglou.com
Fri Nov 20 21:14:54 UTC 1998

Thus spake Bob Allisat
> There is absolutely no reason for
> ISPs to do *anything*. Except for
> implementing a USER CONFIGURABLE
> INTERFACE that allows personal
> filtering of E-Mail *before* it
> is downloaded. I called this the
> ALLISAT INDEX once upon a time
> but what is a name?

Well...Bob, while I think you're a raving lunatic...guess what?  You can
do this with the RBL as it stands!  At least our MTA allowed us to set
it up this way...It's not something that can be decided on the fly when
a specific piece of email is retrieved (say through Eudora), but its a
setting that our users set on whether to use RBL or not.  Isn't that a
radical idea...that ISP's can implement things how they want because its
their equipment.

Now, please...take your raving lunacies.  We can't help it if
you can't figure out how to configure your MTA like you wish.

(My apologies if this is more noise than signal...I can't believe I'm
actually responding to Bob...sheesh...hopefully its at least *somewhat*
operationally related since it involves MTA config)

For what its worth...our MTA (exim in our shop) allows us to set an RBL
warning on messages globally, but not block them on a system-wide level.
This then let's our users configure procmail, filter, or even an exim
filter to dump any messages which have the RBL warning on them.
Incidentally, we have a system level service the users can "sign up" for
(its set up in our billing system as a seperate account type, but its
free) that will accomplish this basically at the system level...but
again, its user specific.
Jeff McAdams                            Email: jeffm at iglou.com
Head Network Administrator              Voice: (502) 966-3848
IgLou Internet Services                        (800) 436-4456