Black Hole Vixie/RBL

Edward S. Marshall emarshal at logic.net
Fri Nov 20 03:03:21 UTC 1998

On Thu, 7 Feb 2036, Bob Allisat wrote:
>  Mr. Vixie and his cohorts increasingly
>  imagine themselves to be the final and
>  ultimate arbiters in matters of Network
>  integrity.

Actually, I think they imagine themselves as the folks who maintain a list
of people who spam. What other people choose to do with that list is up to
them. It just so happens that I trust their judgement on who happens to be
a spammer, and thus reject messages sent to my system based on that.

>  renegade mission of uncontrolled and
>  arbitrary censorship.

Stop, you're killing me. I haven't laughed this hard in ages.

You're talking about someone maintaining a listing of addresses which
happen to be held by people who exhibit a particular characteristic.

Do you have a problem with the ARIN or InterNIC whois databases? You
should, by your logic; they maintain a detailed database of information on
people who run networks. Someone might use that information in a bad way.
Better stop them, too. As a matter of fact, any listing could be used in a
manner which does not conform to the Allisat moral way. Better outlaw
lists of things altogether.

...raving >mumble< >mumble<...

>  Maybe it is time
>  to pull the plug on the ultimate plug
>  pullers, black hole the black holers!

You're missing the point. Paul didn't pull the plug on people on my
network. -I- did. If you have a problem with not being able to send mail
to me, take it up with me, not Paul (unless you're planning on changing
the behavior that caused you to be placed there originally). -I- chose to
use his list, and prevent someone's email from traveling through systems I
purchased and maintain.

Paul Vixie didn't make me use his list. Brownie points for you if you can
guess who did.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal at logic.net> />  Who would have thought that we  -o)
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/        // would be freed from the Gates of  /\\