Black Hole Vixie/RBL

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Nov 19 17:09:45 UTC 1998

I will at some point today drink enough coffee to gain the self control it
would take to not answer crazies.  Because that time has not yet come, I can
only hope that you, the reader, will delete this message without reading any
further.

bob at fcn.net (Bob Allisat) writes:

>  Mr. Vixie and his cohorts increasingly
>  imagine themselves to be the final and
>  ultimate arbiters in matters of Network
>  integrity. Having them sit in judgement
>  over the Black Holing of successive and
>  alleged perpetrators violates numerous
>  protections and freedoms all citizens

Yup.  Well, your freedoms anyway.  Note
that the MAPS RBL is a subscription service;
no second and third parties are ever denied
the opportunity to communicate freely unless
one of them subscribes to the MAPS RBL and
the other list listed on it.

>  It is my opinion that these activities
>  have reached their zenith and something
>  should be done to finally Black Hole
>  Vixie/RBL should they continue on their
>  renegade mission of uncontrolled and
>  arbitrary censorship. Maybe it is time
>  to pull the plug on the ultimate plug
>  pullers, black hole the black holers!

I suppose that you'd prefer "controlled"
censorship?  Well, anyway, the sysop.com
guy is spamming threats far and wide in
hopes of scaring away my subscribers, but
this doesn't appear to be having his desired
effect.  Maybe "renegade" is the wrong word?

As for your suggestion, I would like it, and
I mean I would really, really like it, if you
(Bob Allisat) would please blackhole my route
in your upstream router.  I'm 204.152.184/21.
Leave 192.5.4/23 out, since that's where F
lives, but I promise that none of my mail or
web servers are outside 204.152.184/21.
--
Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com>