Lawsuit threat against RBL users

Chris Mauritz chrism at raremedium.com
Thu Nov 19 16:10:03 UTC 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Denninger [mailto:karl at Denninger.Net]
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 1998 10:26 AM
To: Chris Mauritz; 'Sheryl Chapin'; nanog at merit.edu
Subject: Re: Lawsuit threat against RBL users

>The problem with this is that someone, sooner or later, is going to
>take a run at people trying to set up what amounts to a set of contractual
>requirements that exceed legal requirements - and then enforce them network
>wide.
>
>The collusive aspect of this is downright scary, especially when coupled
>with threats of depeering, active denial of service attacks, etc.

*shrug*

If I am an ISP, I'm free to have whatever AUP I want.  IF clients don't like
the AUP, they are free to shop elsewhere.  I don't have the ability to force
other ISPs to use my AUP or even a close facsimile...nor is there is a
method to enforce your 1984 vision anyway.  The net is a loose connection of
public and private links.  If I own a private link and I decide that I'm
going to route you into /dev/null...that's what I'll do.  There isn't a
thing you can do about it.

[snip]

>There are a lot of "questionable" things that this industry does, but IMHO
>this one is near or at the top of the list of things I'd talk to my counsel
>about....

Knock yourself out.  Be sure to let us know what your legal eagle has to say
on the matter.

Chris