Lawsuit threat against RBL users

Karl Denninger karl at Denninger.Net
Thu Nov 19 15:26:26 UTC 1998

The problem with this is that someone, sooner or later, is going to
take a run at people trying to set up what amounts to a set of contractual
requirements that exceed legal requirements - and then enforce them network
wide.

The collusive aspect of this is downright scary, especially when coupled
with threats of depeering, active denial of service attacks, etc.

I happen to be an "anti-spammer", but when you get to the point that you
start telling people what they have to put in their contracts as an industry,
such that if Person #1 commits an act on a *completely unrelated* system
they get their contract voided you're treading on very, very thin ice.

That looks an awful lot like an industry-wide blacklist, and those are
dangerously close to being per-se illegal.

There's nothing wrong with a single provider putting whatever provisions
in their agreements they see fit - you're always free to shop for a new
provider.  However, when industry actions conspire to basically *force*
certain provisions to be included in *everyone's* contracts, and those
provisions go beyond "don't do illegal things", then IMHO you're exerting
force that needs to be very carefully thought out.

There IS a means to solve the problem otherwise - that is, for the industry
to make "throw away, instant registration" accounts disappear.  The problem
with what is being done now is that the entire industry is being forced to
provide a "safe haven" for a PARTICULAR marketing tactic.

There are a lot of "questionable" things that this industry does, but IMHO
this one is near or at the top of the list of things I'd talk to my counsel
about....

Karl Denninger (karl at denninger.net) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.