Lawsuit threat against RBL users

Scott Michel scottm at ulfus.cs.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 19 05:29:46 UTC 1998

>From reading this list, it doesn't sound like RBL is being used as a
tool to squelch the disenfranchised. I can't say I know Paul Vixie
all that well, but I think he'd be the first to raise a red flag if
RBL was being used as a tool to censor people.

Consider provider P's upstream provider, UP. UP, if they are sensible,
has a usage policy which includes abuse. It is definitely within the
bounds of UP's course of action to discontinue service to P because
P's customer's are violating UP's usage policy. Instead of discontinuing
P's service completely, UP black-holes P's mail and shares this
information with other providers who chose to black-hole the abusive
e-mail users.

So, it's P's responsibility to correct the situation.

Paul only provides a mechanism, so you can't sue him. It's like the
City of Chicago trying to sue the gun makers for aiding and abetting
murder after the fact -- plainly guns don't kill people, people kill
people. Take this analogy a step further: RBL black-holes spam, but
people implement RBL to deal with people sending spam.

-scooter