Lawsuit threat against RBL users

Eric Anderson keric at cyberiron.com
Thu Nov 19 04:24:25 UTC 1998

> Company S(pam) has a web site, hosted on the servers of
> web-presence-provider Company P(rovider). Company S uses the services of
> Company X to send out massive loads of SPAM, with referencing the web
> site and even e-mail addresses hosted by Company H. Now, if I'm hearing
> what's being said on this list correctly, Company H is being expected to
> pull the website they host for Company S (or else be blackholed), _even
> though no illegal or spam-generating activity is being generated on
> their network_.
> Am I understanding this correctly?!?
> By this philosophy, it would seem that if I were to host the web pages
> of a company which engaged in unwelcome telemarketing (which I
> personally find much more offensive than SPAM, and which is no more or
> less illegal in most states), I would be under an obligation to cease
> providing service to that company!

Not to mention being the ultimate DoS: sending out loads of useless
SPAM that appears to come from a competitor, getting them kicked off
their Net.

 Eric Anderson  Online Network-Entertainment  CyberIron Bodybuilding
  ICQ 3849549      <http://www.on-e.com/>   <http://www.cyberiron.com>
 <keric at on-e.com>       San Diego, CA          <keric at cyberiron.com>