Best Practices for Being Permanently Added to the RBL

Ben Black black at layer8.net
Wed Nov 18 21:57:41 UTC 1998

RBL Working Group                                              Ben Black
INTERNET DRAFT                                          Layer 8 Networks
Obsoletes: draft-ietf-rbl-selfdefense-00.txt

                                                           November 1998
                                                        Expires May 1999

         Best Practices for Being Permanently Added to the RBL
                 <draft-ietf-rbl-permanent-00.txt>

Status of this memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft. Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups. Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as ``work in progress.''

   To view the entire list of current Internet-Drafts, please check the
   ``1id-abstracts.txt'' listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net (Europe),
   munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), or ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

Abstract

   The Realtime Blackhole List (RBL) service from the Mail Abuse
   Protection System (MAPS) is a completely free and voluntary system
   for creating intentional network outages to limit the propogation
   of unwanted, unsolicited, mass e-mail (SPAM).  Many purveyors of
   SPAM and SPAM-related services have had little trouble in getting
   themselves added to the MAPS RBL, but certain providers of web
   hosting services whose customers engage in SPAMMING have expressed
   concern that at some point in the future they may be removed from
   the MAPS RBL, exposing millions of innocent e-mail users to a
   barrage of SPAM.  This document offers a description of the best
   current practices for guaranteeing that your company stays on the
   MAPS RBL.

1. Terminology

   Throughout this document, the words that are used to define the
   significance of particular requirements are capitalized.  These words
   are:

      - "MUST"
         This word or the adjective "REQUIRED" means that the item is an
         absolute requirement of this specification.

      - "MUST NOT"
         This phrase means that the item is an absolute prohibition of
         this specification.

      - "SHOULD"
         This word or the adjective "RECOMMENDED" means that there may
         exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore this
         item, but the full implications should be understood and the
         case carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

      - "SHOULD NOT"
         This phrase means that there may exist valid reasons in
         particular circumstances when the listed behavior is acceptable
         or even useful, but the full implications should be understood
         and the case carefully weighed before implementing any behavior
         described with this label.

      - "MAY"
         This word or the adjective "OPTIONAL" means that this item is
         truly optional. One vendor may choose to include the item
         because a particular marketplace requires it or because it
         enhances the product, for example; another vendor may omit the
         same item.

2. Best Practices

   Although there are many successful methods for achieving a lifetime
   membership in the RBL, the following have proven the simplest and most
   expedient.

2.1 Verbally Harassing the Maintainers of the RBL

   The maintainers of the MAPS RBL are all volunteers with an interest in
   making the Internet less of a haven for nefarious SPAM merchants.
   This is a fundamental technique which SHOULD be attempted by ALL service
   providers wishing to burn all possible bridges.

2.2 Sending SPAM Demanding Removal from the RBL

   Nothing says "Blackhole me!" like sending an unwanted mass mailing to
   potential subscribers of the MAPS RBL service.  Service providers
   in the market for a new line of work unrelated to the Internet MUST
   SPAM as MANY other service providers as possible to maximize their
   chances at a coveted RBL Blackhole Lifetime Membership.

2.3 Threatening Lawsuits

   Even the most stalwart RBL maintainer may later have mercy later if
   only the suggestions in Sections 2.1 and 2.2 are followed.  To avoid
   this eventuality, service providers SHOULD threaten to sue not only
   the RBL maintainers, but also all RBL subscribers.

   When responding to queries regarding the upcoming legal action,
   providers MUST NOT resort to the use of logic and common sense.  Hard
   work definitely pays off in this area.

2.4 Proper CAPITALIZATION

   One of the keys to a successful SPAM demand or threat is proper
   capitalization.  Unlike normal English usage, providers MUST randomly
   capitalize ENTIRE words for no APPARENT REASON.  E-mail which
   follows this rule is certain to have a major impact on all readers.

3. Example of Advanced Techniques

   This outstanding example illustrates a complete mastery of all the
   tecniques listed above.  The sender of this message is obviously
   highly motivated in his quest to remain on the RBL until the end of
   time.

-- start --