Unix trioyans and Customer Security

Steve Noble snoble at sonn.com
Wed Nov 18 17:14:02 UTC 1998

Hi,

	Given that it was a sunday night, the fact that the customer was contacted
and the "compromized" machine was taken offline in about 3 hours leads me to believe
otherwise.  Maybe in your idealistic world things are 'instantly' taken care of, but
in mine it normally takes 3-5 DAYS or longer to get things like this resolved.

	Do you think if some other large site was scanning like this that iti would
have taken any less time to resolve?  I was once hit by a tucows machine and after
repeated mails, calls and such it was still up weeks later..  I was also hit by sites
off of icon.net and while they were VERY responsive, it still took a few days to
get the sites fixed..