National Infrastructure Protection Center

Greg A. Woods woods at most.weird.com
Wed Nov 18 04:44:36 UTC 1998

[ On Tue, November 17, 1998 at 14:29:25 (-0500), David Lesher wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: National Infrastructure Protection Center
>
> Unnamed Administration sources reported that Jeremy Porter said:
> >
> > Despite the fact that we've assisted the local office on a number
> > of occasions (tracing forged email, etc.), there isn't any real
> > interested unless you have large amounts of damage, i.e. $100,000+.

Same thing seems to be true here in Canada w.r.t. the ability of an
incident to capture the attention of the RCMP, though of course there
are always "exceptions".

> And that fact [that I know to be true...] ought to be of interest to
> any one of a number of print journalists.

Hmmm....  I don't know.  It's all about risk assesment....  The RCMP or
FBI or whomever don't want to know about kids stealing candy down at the
local corner store.  Perhaps similar responses are necessary (eg. give a
good talking to the guardians or other responsible parties associated
with the perpetrators of such inconsequential attacks).  Unfortunately
due to the international nature of the Internet I'm not sure such peer
pressure tactics will work quite so well with parents or whomever,
assuming you can even track them down.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>