Strange BGP announcement

Martin, Christian CMartin at mercury.balink.com
Wed Nov 18 02:44:34 UTC 1998

> Patently false.  In particular, the spec allows an
> implementation to invoke
> local policy when computing the local preference of a route.  An
> implementation can reasonably incorporate the AS path length
> in its local
> preference calculations as part of its policy.
>
> Tony

In Cisco IOS, this falls under the BGP decision process in selecting a
route.  So in an indirect way, this is already implemented.  To be more
exact in terms of the RFC, I suppose a match clause could be implemented
based on path length, but this can be done already with a regular
expression.  Either way, the capability is there.

-Chris