What's wrong with Exodus?

Adam Rothschild asr at millburn.net
Wed Nov 18 01:32:47 UTC 1998

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Jon Green wrote:

> As for the current situation, if *I* were an Exodus customer I sure as
> hell wouldn't want them releasing information about me to some random
> person that requests it.  You provide Exodus with a court order and I'm
> sure they'll be happy to give you whatever information you want.  I
> always thought that was standard practice for an ISP.  If your privacy
> standards are less, I'll make sure not to do business with you.

Looks like the phraseology of my original post may be to blame for
this misunderstanding.   For the record: I do *not* think Exodus should
reveal any private customer-specific information, unless authorized to do
so by the customer.

Call me idealistic, but, at the same time, I think Exodus (or *ANY NOC*
for that matter), when contacted, should try to offer some assistance
(especially given the huge widespread nature of this event),
even if the machine jeopardized is not their own.

Then again, SWIP'ed customer assignments would be of some assistance, too.

According to Exodus's abuse at exodus.net autoresponder:
"We will investigate to determine if there has been a violation.  If there
has, we will contact our customer and require that the violating activity
cease. If a violation does not cease, we will terminate our customer's
service pursuant to our rules of service."

It's been ~ 48 hours, AFAIK.  And, according to a post to inet-access, the
tickling from 209.67.50.0/24 has not stopped.   C'est not so good.