RBL quandry - opinions hereby solicited

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Nov 17 20:30:37 UTC 1998

> it's spam.  in my humble opinion, paul, they should be warned that they are
> in danger of being added to the blackhole list...if and only because so
> many of us DO have to rely on them.

we don't rely on the server they use to send this spam, though.  if we have
to blackhole that one server, it will NOT affect their registry functions.
a little bit of work with "show ip bgp" on a core router will demonstrate
that "netsol" and "internic" have different connectivity -- different
address blocks, different autonomous system numbers, and different transit
connections.

fyi, we're now in discussions with their sales/marketing management.
they have agreed to stop sending this type of mail until at least the
conclusion of our discussions with them.  i view this as the best possible
outcome, far better than blackholing them.  (though that possibility still
exists, if they won't change their marketing practices.)

now as to whether they own the data they resell, or whether they're abusing
public funds or trust, or whether they're trying to take over the internet,
hell i don't know any more than the rest of you.  but those are not the
reasons they'd be blackholed so i don't need to know any more than i do.
--
Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com>