Strange BGP announcement

I Am Not An Isp patrick at ianai.net
Tue Nov 17 05:56:27 UTC 1998

At 01:00 AM 11/14/98 +0000, Andrew Bangs wrote:

>> > thank you for this nice code, which caused our gated to crash...
>> > Where may i send my bill to :-)))
>>
>> I suggest the bill be sent to the guy/vendor that injected the
>> bad path :-)
>
>Hmm. If the upstream had been running code that did what the RFC says
>then Winfried wouldn't have a bill to send to anybody...
>It isn't like this was the first time we've seen this problem, either.

You really want all backbone routers to ignore AS-Path length in the BGP
route selection process?  I think I like it better the way it is now - at
least for the near future.

Hrmm....  Perhaps if the vendors covered the RFC error code type stuff at
least, then they could add kewl, new features like "as-path length" as a
step in the route selection process.

> Andrew

TTFN,
patrick

I Am Not An Isp
www.ianai.net
"Think of it as evolution in action." - Niven & Pournelle