Cache-as-cache-can

Eric Dean edean at gip.net
Tue Nov 17 02:18:22 UTC 1998

We performed a number of tests with most all the vendor's
products.  Considering that most all the vendor's are represented on this
list, I do not want to get into a p*ssing contest on a public list as to who
has the best cache.

We found important a number of items to consider with Web Caching.

1) Accuracy.  If the served page is not the requested page, your
customers will let you know.

2) Transparency.  As long as your customers don't care it's there then
everything is okay.  When a Web Cache hangs up and black holes your Web
traffic, that's a bad day.  There are some layer 4 switches out in the
marketplace (Foundry and Alteon) who redirect Web requests and run port
80 keepalives.

3) Availability.  You don't want a sub-tera Web Cache subject to a single
disc failure.  Layer 4 switches also take care of your Web Cache cluster
keeping flows and content contiguous.

4) Performance.  There are a number of factors including max sessions,
access speed and a few others to consider.  Bottom line is that Web
performance is a perceived service and is often subjective.

5) Also realize that Web Caches do interesting things in switched
networks where 60-75% of your traffic belongs to a single IP address.
Equal cost IGP metrics avail nothing.

6) The goal of Web Caching is not to reduce line utilization.  We found
some cases where line utilization maxed when we added the Web Cache.
Having a 100Mbps box proxying all Web traffic can seriously expand TCP
Windows as opposed to a typical modem which introduces serialization delay.

Our goal was to give better international Web performance to customers
while also making the most intelligent use of the international resources
by removing redundant information.  Interestingly enough, we also have
seen a reduction of 20% TCP retransmissions to less than 2% on the core.

-eric