RBL quandry - opinions hereby solicited

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Nov 16 23:59:08 UTC 1998

At 01:19 PM 11/16/1998 -0800, Paul A Vixie wrote:
>> I would suggest that they would not be RBLed as
>>
>> 	1] this is a list that can be easily (I assume) opted out of.
>
>no.  there is no way to opt out of it.

Not so. You can use another registry. .COM, .NET, and .ORG may be the most
popular, but they are not the only ones.  When you refuse to do business
with NSI, they don't send you email.  They don't get lists and send email
to random people.  If you don't agree to let NSI send you email, they won't
do business with you.   Everyone agreed to those terms. Can't come back and
change them later, because you don't like it.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with most of the mail I've gotten
from them.  Some of it a bit technically insulting, but that doesn't make
it totally unreasonable from an email ethics point of view. It certainly
doesn't qualify as spam, since it is in fact solicited.  You paid $100+ for
the privilege.

Technically, they aren't broadcasting either. They are sending email to
their customers.  Not potential future customers. Existing customers.  They
didn't buy this list from somewhere. They asked for, and required customers
to give this information, and to give them permission to send email.

You seem to be in a conflict with your own rules, since you have said that
you don't RBL companies that are using their own internal lists.  As I
thought, you aren't operating from some kind of moral or ethical principal,
you are just bullying others.  I just don't like that, whether you happen
to be right or not.

>> 	2] They are sending to folks that use the service.
>
>yes.  which is: everybody who has a domain in COM, NET, or ORG.

Ahh, it has finally come to a confrontation with someone who quite possibly
speaks more authoritatively for everyone in those domains than you do.
This will be interesting, to say the least.

I wonder if RBLing NetSol is cause for them to put vix.com on hold.  That
would be a hoot.  I suppose they actually could call you in breach of
contract for refusing to receive email, refund your money, and cancel your
domains.

		--Dean

           Plain Aviation, Inc                  dean at av8.com
           LAN/WAN/UNIX/NT/TCPIP          http://www.av8.com