An alternative suggestion (was Re: Hold on to your news servers)

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at nacs.net
Mon Nov 16 05:42:56 UTC 1998

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 02:29:11PM -0600, Edward S. Marshall wrote:

> simply set up INN out of the box, with cancels enabled, and never change
> the defaults. This means that when your cancels leak, and they will,
> administrators have to opt-out. Saying this is the fault of their peers is
> merely petty buck-passing; it's the fault of -YOUR- peers.)
>
> This is why I don't support Karl's proposal. Not because it is a
> fundamentally bad idea or because I have a problem with him personally
> (the latter of which has been seen far too much), but because it fails to
> address the basic need for personal privacy in a public forum, and because
> it fails to operate as a strictly opt-out mechanism.

Ditto that. And really, it CAN'T operate strictly as an opt-out mechanism.
While I'm sure Karl is quite competent enough to be able to configure a server
and a newsfeed, he is only human, and mistakes *do* happen.

--
Steve Sobol [sjsobol at nacs.net]
Part-time Support Droid [support at nacs.net]

Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."