Hold on to your news servers (fwd)

MegaZone megazone at megazone.org
Sat Nov 14 14:02:36 UTC 1998

Once upon a time John M. Brown shaped the electrons to say...
>Wouldn't it be nice if people actually quoted things correctly....
>
>Quoting from his FAQ as posted on inet-access.
>
>" THIS CANCEL ADVISORY SYSTEM IS OPT-IN; THE CANCELS
>  WILL *NOT* BE GENERALLY INJECTED BACK INTO THE USENET
>  NEWS STREAM. "

Yeah - and I have a bridge I'm selling.

Have you been reading Karl's rants on this subject?  He expects that the
people who sign up for this service will control leakage.  Sure, and pigs
will fly.  We have see many times that sites do NOT control leakage of
local groups, clarinews feeds, bofh.*, etc.  Do you honestly believe,
for a second, that these cancels will NOT find their way back into the
general stream?  I sure as hell don't.

It is a BROKEN implementation - can so far on inet-access Karl has done
his usual job of refusing to listen to anyone other than himself when they
have tried to suggest other means of distributing this to make it TRULY
OPT-IN.  And not OPT-IN - in Utopia only, and OPT-OUT in the real world.

If he pushes ahead with this system as he has described it to date, it
would be a very bad thing.

-MZ
--
<URL:mailto:megazone at megazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me..