Hold on to your news servers

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Sat Nov 14 00:29:29 UTC 1998

At 06:57 PM 11/13/98 -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
>Sheesh.  I'm getting tired of increasingly large logs of cancels and
>reposts. I think we should start treating all cancels that are sent out by
>someone who is not a moderator or the original poster as an abuse.
>
>Anyone who cancels someone elses post who is not a moderator or the
>original poster should lose their account/job at ISP/etc.
>
>So lets start sending in complaints...

This is why we dropped our UseNet feed three years ago, during the CoS
cancel-bunny wars. We saw, even then, Windows programs that would allow an
end-luser to generate cancels. When I saw three of them offered at
shareware.com I knew UseNet was in trouble. When I started to see the
cancel rate go *way* up, I dropped the feed.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/