Hold on to your news servers

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Fri Nov 13 19:20:17 UTC 1998

Hey guys, this is a heads-up about Karl Denninger's new clean-news
system.  I haven't seen any posts on this list about it.  His message
describing the implementation is attached below, posted "publicly" on
chi.internet.  (skip the quoted stuff)

Karl is about to send out cancel messages, cancelling _every_ Usenet
binary that is not PGP-signed by someone registered with his system.
He says that these cancels will only go out to people he explicitly
peers with, and not Usenet at large.  He then adds that what these
peers do with the cancel msgs is their own business.

Folks, the goal is good, but the implementation is bad.

These cancel msgs will leak out to Usenet at large.  History proves
this; leaking of net.*, bofh.*, clari.*, etc. occurs all the time
despite admins' best efforts.

And when these cancels leak, every news server on Usenet will
* suddenly be receiving _thousands_ of additional cancels, and
* 99.9999% of the binaries out there will disappear from your servers.

I do not want to be handling the support calls when this occurs.

If you are interested in this issue, there is a discussion on
news.admin.net-abuse.usenet, thread "Karl Denninger loses his marbles..."

Or ask me, I'm more than happy to outline the technical ramifications
of this, and why it's a bad idea, in more detail.  I'll cut and paste
from my e-mails to Karl.  :)

	Jeff
	(news admin/consultant)

P.S. Had mailer problems.  Apologies if you are seeing this twice.