other network problems with hosts at internic.net (was: was i asleep when the gtld servers had the worse problem today? )

Greg A. Woods woods at most.weird.com
Fri Nov 13 18:43:34 UTC 1998

[ On Fri, November 13, 1998 at 08:43:34 (-0800), Paul A Vixie wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: was i asleep when the gtld servers had the worse problem today?
>
> for four days, tcpdump on my side shows behaviour consistent with lost ACKs;
> pathchar from my side shows that A's first mile is a lossy 3Mb/s bottleneck.

Just to add a little fuel to the fire:

I've been experiencing TCP related connection failures from most/all
hosts at internic.net, with at least whois and http (though not SMTP).

For example when I attempt to do a whois I'll normally only get back the
first two lines of output (i.e. "\nRegistrant:\n").  Then the connection
hangs and times out.  From my point of view it seems that the connection
has indeed been cut off.  The weird part is that this only happens for
NetBSD-1.3.x hosts on my network.  BSDI BSD/OS 1.1, Ultrix, and at one
point SunOS-4.1 hosts were all receiving complete output from whois
queries.  It gets even weirder when I look at the tcpdump traces on the
NetBSD-1.3.x gateway that connects my network to the next one up the
stream shows that the packets are actually coming from the remote
internic.net host, but they're not getting through the NetBSD routing
code (i.e. I see the ACK come in on the ethernet interface, but not out
the PPP interface).

I suspect it's got something to do with the firewall and traffic
director stuff they're using for some services at internic.net.  The
only apparent difference between the two TCP/IP connections (i.e. the
ones from NetBSD-1.3 that don't work, and the ones from other systems
that do work), are the initial window size negotiations.

So far internic.net hosts are the only ones I've ever encountered that
trigger this failure in the NetBSD networking code....  I've meant to do
some more extensive analysis and bring this up with the NetBSD
networking gurus, but so far haven't had time.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>