logical subnet overlaying...

Brent Sweeny sweeny at pine.ucs.indiana.edu
Fri Nov 13 13:50:33 UTC 1998

Hi, Kyle--you'll probably get *lots* of responses to your question,
but I haven't seen any yet, so I apologize if this turns out to be
a duplicate.

don't worry about IOS versions--this has been supported in IOS since
before it was even *called* IOS!
what you'll end up with is TWO "ip address" lines in your configuration,
one for the primary ip address and one for the additional (which cisco
calls "secondary") one.  in general, the syntax is:
  int eth 0 0
  ip addr <primary ip address> <primary ip address's mask>
  ip addr <second ip addr> <second ip addr's mask>  secondary

in your case, the lines would look like (assuming you're using the first
available address in your block for your router--put the right thing in):
  int eth 0 0
  ip addr 206.206.162.129 255.255.255.192   ! this is the config you already had
  ip addr 207.66.81.97    255.255.255.224 secondary ! this is your new one
then user devices can use addresses out of either block on that Ethernet.
Note, however, that if a user on the first subnet wants to talk to a device
in the second subnet range their traffic will go to the router and then back
to the Ethernet to the destination, since the source doesn't know that the
destination is on the same wire as he is.  Hope that helps,
	Brent Sweeny
	Indiana University