summary: gateway failover.

foo foo at eek.org
Fri Nov 13 00:29:33 UTC 1998

first of all, sorry for the duplicate message. i originally
sent it without my proper from address to avoid having my
primary mailbox spammed, but thought it wouldnt go through
because the from address wasnt on nanog-post...

second, i incorrectly referred to the rfc for IRDP as 1285,
when it is 1256.

re: IRDP support. the following os's/routing daemons have support:

gated (version ?)
Solaris (in.rdisc(1))
Windows NT (with sp3)
Windows 95 (with Sockets 2)

a couple of useful urls were sent my way, the most interesting
being:

http://www.eddieware.org

which details an Open Source HA project by Ericsson (very cool),
which is unfortunately only supported under Linux for the time
being, though Solaris/FreeBSD support is slated for December.

another from a usenix/lisa presentation with some good info is here:

http://dilbert.dcs.it.mtu.edu/failover/

also, many suggestions were given for ways to accomplish this
goal with network layer stuff (ospf, rip, interface aliases,
proxy arp, etc.), though i was looking for an application layer
solution, primarily. if you'd like details on the various
suggestions, email me privately.

-foo