IRR/RADB updates vs. ANS?

Gerald Andrew Winters gerald at merit.edu
Tue Nov 10 03:08:42 UTC 1998

Hello Dan,

> I'm looking for information on how and/or when ANS takes updated
> information from the IRR databases (RADB in this case) and applies them
> internally.

The short answer is I do not know.  I have cc'd the ans folks
and I'm sure they can give a definitive answer.  However,
I do have some information since we administer the *public*
ans database.  Updates are applied immediately to the public
ans database.  Updates can take up to a maximum of 15 minutes
to show up on our production whois.ra.net server, which mirrors
the public ans database.
  I am using the word 'public' to indicate that ANS keeps
it's own internal DB which to my knowledge is not publically
viewable.  What differences there are between the public
ans DB and it's internal counterpart, and how ans factors
the radb DB into the equation I am unsure of.

> It appears that very few nets rely on the
> data in the RADB, or take updated data from the RADB in near-real-time
> fashion.

This is an open question and obviously there are those
who do not use the IRR.  However, our production whois
server handles ~25,000 TCP connections and 250,000 queries
per day on average.  We would like to see these numbers increase
as we continue to try and improve the IRR environment.  I'd be
interested in hearing how you came to your conclusion.

regards,

--jerry (Merit)